Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I am the Museum of Art or not, depends who's lookin'

In the 70's I volunteered at a drug abuse center in Solon, Ohio.(I was in my thirties) We had a mandatory group with a psychologist once a month. In one of them we were told to pair off and discuss the following points.

What kind of tree are you?
What kind of building are you?
What kind of cookie are you?

There were a few more, but I don't remember them. I was partnered with a shy lady, she was so lifeless that she could have stood against a opaque wall and no one would have noticed her.

When she was asked to answer the questions based on what tree, building, cookie, etc. I had given her. I only remember what she said about me being a building, she said: "I see her as the art museum, but you are not always in the mood to go three." I LOVED it and howled. When I had to answer the same questions about her I told the group that I saw her as a "Vanilla Waver", she was offended and that's the last thing I wanted to do, even thought I figured she should be tougher or not stay in the group. I explained to her and guess to the group, that a vanilla cookie goes with anything. Not sure she was appeased. Ah those were the days, I was in my thirties and you can figure out how long ago that was.
This photo was taken at the Narita Airport (Tokyo) in 1987 when we came back from China. We ran into some soldiers who carried several babies from Korea to New York. They lamented that they wished they could hand them directly over to their respective new families instead of a social worker. I often wish I could  have made contact and told this baby girl how much she was treasured on the way from her homeland to her new family. I hope and pray she fared well.

No comments:

Post a Comment